At Rockwood, we put our rhinos’ safety first, no matter the cost. When you donate $360 — or any amount you can afford — to sponsor a rhino, here’s where your money goes to:
- Safeguarding our 300 rhinos. While living at Rockwood is a far cry from how the rhinos would live in the wild, free from human interference, keeping them protected here is our best chance to save the rhino. And so far, our ‘aggressive conservation’ strategy has proven highly successful, with our total rhino population surpassing 300. To date, 100 rhinos have been born at Rockwood, making us one of the world’s largest and most successful private rhino conservation projects.
- Feeding our rhinos amidst an ongoing drought. Situated in the semi-arid Northern Cape region of South Africa, Rockwood’s terrain is arid with an annual rainfall of between only 50 and 400mm. As a result, there is a lack of abundant grazing which makes keeping and feeding a herd of over 300 Southern white rhinos no easy task. On average, a white rhino eats up to 120 pounds of grass a day. So, we truck in tons of feed each month to keep our hungry crash of rhino fed. Over the years as the prolonged drought continues, this amount keeps increasing.
“People mustn’t think we want money to enrich ourselves. We need the money to ensure the survival of the species. The money you pledge, before we even see it, it has been changed into a bale of feed.”
- Ricardo van Wyk, Rockwood Farm Manager
- Covering the costs of veterinary aid. Every rhino death and birth is critical to the survival of the whole species. But our secluded location in the remote north of South Africa means that without a veterinary clinic close by, we must bring in veterinary aid when needed. With so many rhinos in our care, we need regular veterinary check-ups.
- Deterring poachers with a top notch security system. We monitor and protect our rhinos 24/7. We’ve installed electric fencing, ranger towers and outposts. We make use of horseback patrols, drones and infra-red security cameras. All of these measures require maintenance that is made more costly due to our remoteness.
DONATE $360 OR WHATEVER YOU CAN AFFORD TO HELP KEEP OUR RHINOS ALIVE